Saturday, 26 April 2014
Monday, 7 April 2014
The alternative title for this blog post probably could have been “Adventure Time!”, but I figured that was just too cool and modern in geek culture. Better to go with an obscure South Park reference, don my hipster glasses and smugly say “you've probably never heard of it”. Even though, actually, you probably have if you're around 30+. :P
The Paint Job
When I first heard of the Guild in Malifaux, the first thing that came to my mind were the old Dungeons and Dragons Guilds that tended to pop up in cities – the Thieves Guild, Mages Guild and of course, the economically improbable Adventurers Guild. “Relic Hunter” is pretty much just a synonym for Adventurer so for me, it was clear that my McCabe needed to look like he was ready to explore dungeons, fight monsters and of course, carry all his Phat Lewt around!
Luna is a champion, no doubt about it! In this game I ran him with a pair of Guild hounds, making for a very fast flanking force that could take on other isolated elements and at least in this game, help fulfill Reconnoiter and place scheme markers for Breakthrough. Mind you, running him out with a pack of his own denied me the chance to take advantage of Hunting Dog (For McCabe to shoot models he’s engaged with) and Warning Bark (which could help a Guild Hound, sure, but would be better on a more costly crew member). If it wasn't Reconnoiter I think that “close support” aspect of Luna would have proved much more useful, but it’s nice to know that he can switch between the two styles of play.
- I really enjoyed building/painting his crew,
- I compared McCabe favourably with Marcus – a Master I loved in the previous edition,
- McCabe has access to a push effect to move his own models around,
- McCabe lets me use Witchling Stalkers, who are rapidly becoming my favourite minion in the game,
- … and perhaps most tellingly, I’ve written more than 3000 words on my experience with him!
Friday, 4 April 2014
- Have a painted crew for every Master in Malifaux
- Play at least one game with every Master in Malifaux
If you're Hunting for Relics, you need somewhere to store all your phat lewt right?
The start of Kirai's crew - I had to wait until March before I recieved the rest of them to paint.
The beginnings of Rasputina's crew...approaching completion.
Just a few bits and pieces to paint....
- 24 Masters with complete (ie. playable) crews,
- 9 Incomplete Masters (ie. Owned but either unassembled, unpainted or part thereof)
- 6 Unreleased Masters
Of the unreleased crews, we know the Brewmaster is imminent but I hold out hope that most of the other 5 will be available at Gencon this year. I've got some notes on possible proxies for most of them (Mah Tucket being the toughest so far) but I'd rather not use them if I can!